7 Questions for MSPs to Evaluate Your As-A-Service Marketing Efforts

Be Different. Deliver Excellence.

CharTec-Marketing---Process.jpg

Apr 17, 2018

Review your lead gen tactics on how to fill your managed IT sales funnel

How has your marketing efforts affected your ability to close managed services sales? Before the sale comes marketing. Marketing is essential, and a key driver in generating quality leads needed to fill your sales funnel.

For a high-level understanding of where your marketing and lead gen efforts are today, here are 7 quick questions to ask yourself:

  1. Do you have a marketing plan?
    • We have found many companies have a “shot gun” approach to marketing. They are busy and stuck in multiple projects that it’s challenging to take a step back and think strategy. Whether you are a small or large company, take the time to do a SWOT analysis on your marketing to identify your top 3-5 critical issues and build a plan on how to overcome them.
  2. Do you have tangible goals?
    • After you have identified those top 3-5 critical marketing issues, create “SMARTER” goals on how you can overcome them. Be realistic in what you think you can accomplish and don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
  3. Have you identified marketing KPIs?
    • You’ve set your marketing goals, now it’s time to identify marketing KPIs to measure your marketing success. Today there are several different marketing tactics that are measurable. You can now get insight into your email performance, website analytics, event attendees, social media interactions, etc. Marketing metrics are important to monitor to understand trends and help you be results driven.
  4. Do you have a leads list?
    • Segment your contacts into a lead list and evaluate where they are at in your sales funnel. As a reminder, different resources have said it takes about 7 touches before a sale. Contacts may live on your leads list for a longer period of time while you make several attempts to connect with them. CharTec says that you should only give 10% of the top quality leads from your list for sales to focus on, while marketing nurtures the other 90% through different tactics.
    • CharTec-Marketing---By-the-Numbers.jpg
  5. Do you know your target market and personas?
    • In order for marketing to bring in qualified leads, you need to understand who your intended audience and personas are. This allows you to have a targeted message that will resonate with leads. Marketing should be on the same page of the sales team on the target market and personas so they can prioritize leads accordingly.
  6. Do you know how many leads you need in your funnel to reach your goal?
    • You set a sales goal of how many managed services deals you want to close. Now set a marketing goal of how many leads you need to close that number of deals. In order to do this, you need to work backwards and understand your conversion/close rates for each step of your sales process.
  7. Do you have a marketing budget established? Is your marketing budget realistic for your goals?
    • Marketing is an investment that includes an ROI. Costs associated with marketing range widely across the board. Take a look at the goals you identified to overcome your critical marketing issues, and if you are committed to resolving them, evaluate and allocate your budget accordingly. This includes reviewing both your time and resources needed to make marketing and lead gen successful.

After asking yourself these questions, you should be able to evaluate where you are at in your marketing efforts and next steps on what you need to improve on when it comes to your lead generation tactics.

For best practices on how you can keep moving your leads down the sales funnel, or a refresher on successful marketing tactics, watch our recorded webinar “Lead Gen for Executives: Marketing Tactics to Fill Your As-A-Service Pipeline”. During this webinar we elaborate on the questions above and how you can improve your marketing efforts to grow your managed services business.

WATCH RECORDED WEBINAR


Category: Sales

About The Author

Brittney Stepanek

Brittney Stepanek, Strategic Marketing Director for Collabrance, is responsible for helping build relationships and brand awareness through strategic marketing initiatives. Before working at Collabrance, Brittney joined GreatAmerica in 2012 doing marketing for the Office Equipment Group. She received her Bachelor of Science in Psychology at the University of Iowa.