By: Corey Kerns on September 16th, 2021
SOC-as-a-Service and Why It’s Critical for SMBs
Cyber-attacks and threats to cybersecurity are nothing new, but the vulnerability seems to loom larger with each passing week. Small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) are typically hit the hardest; per Forbes, nearly 60% of attacks are targeted at SMBs, and the Datto 2019 Global State of the Channel Ransomware Report listed 85% of MSPs having reported ransomware attacks against their clients within the last two years. Those percentages are staggering, and they’re predicted to remain steady—or worsen. So, as the refrain often goes, it’s not a matter of IF, but WHEN your business will experience an incident.
With all this in mind, Collabrance is always seeking solutions to help IT providers improve their customers’ security risk. That’s why we’re excited to partner with SKOUT Cybersecurity and leverage their many solutions to supplement our existing security technology and processes. With SKOUT, we’re expanding our threat-detection capabilities in three areas: ransomware, business email compromise, and compliance.
Let’s take a closer look at SKOUT’s offering and capabilities.
What is SKOUT?
SKOUT is an organization that provides security operations–or SOC–as-a-Service (also known as Cyber-as-a-Service). SKOUT has long maintained a focus on protecting small and medium-sized businesses; through their partnership with Collabrance and the MSPs that work with us, SKOUT is able to further its mission of making cybercrime protection accessible to all businesses.
SKOUT operates via cloud-native threat-detection tools that use AI-powered algorithms. This allows Collabrance to go through millions of log files on subscribers’ devices to find the security incidents we need to pay closer attention to.
Like many other SOC-as-a-Service providers, SKOUT offers solutions to monitor a business’s entire environment, including:
- Email protection
- Endpoint protection
- Network security monitoring
- Log security monitoring
- Office 365 security monitoring
Whatever a customer’s needs, SKOUT has a customizable product offering.
Why Should MSPs Consider Adding a SKOUT Product?
There are myriad benefits to outsourcing your Security Operations Center. Consider the following advantages, to name a few:
- Cost – standing up your own internal SOC could easily cost millions of dollars
- Personnel – SOC providers have entire teams of trained security analysts monitoring alerts 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year
- Flexibility – many SOC providers allow the ability to leverage a customized setup and alerts
- Branding – outsourced SOC provides the ability to white-label its solution
How Can I Convince My SMB Customers To Adopt Cybersecurity Solutions?
When selling advanced cybersecurity, objections and pushback are common. Many SMBs are hesitant to prioritize cyber protection, either believing it’s not needed or that they don’t have the budget. In fact, another challenging statistic from the latest Datto Ransomware Report states that while 84% of MSPs report being “very concerned” about ransomware, only 30% of their clients feel the same.
So how to convince end-customers just how critical advanced security is?
I believe the best thing we can do as MSPs is not to scare customers (though the statistics are scary!), but rather, educate customers about the risks, and help them build out a thoughtful, proactive cyber-resilience plan that meets their needs.
Here are some other ways to help your customers address their own security needs:
- Establish the customer’s risk profile – what information, data and systems are the most critical to their business?
- Educate the customer on layered security around those systems and why monitoring those systems is essential to knowing if there is a problem.
- Strive to reduce your and their collective response time in the face of an incident. “Time is money” and the lesser the downtime, the kinder any PR surrounding the incident will be.
- Discuss a security framework which encompasses not only technology, but people and processes as well.
Small and medium-sized businesses need a dedicated technology partner to help expertly guide them through the unnerving world of modern cybersecurity. The SKOUT platform via Collabrance provides MSPs with the tools and expertise needed to deliver best-of-breed cybersecurity services to end-users, which, if adopted, will surely improve a businesses’ security risk posture.
Curious to learn more about your own cybersecurity needs—or the needs of your customers? Click here to schedule a free cyberhealth assessment with a Collabrance team member today.